Following the fantastic sereies Great British Food Revival I feel it is only appropriate that I follow suit and let you all know how passionately I feel about our Great British Food!
I know how easy it is to pop into your local supermarket and grab a bag of potatoes or carrots without even looking where it came from, we all lead such busy lives and convinience is key but also cost plays an important part in our choice as well. Some of our well known super market chains have been backing this campaign with Union Jacks marking out products grown and supplied by our farmers. However our produce is a little more expensive than produce from overseas, and for the money conscious individual this can affect our choice. And at times like these I understand how imporatnt it is to keep an eye on the purse strings however at the same time we need to support our British farmers and keep an eye on their purse strings!
In Britain certain fruits, breeds of livestock and vegetables are at risk of becoming extinct and due to the work of our British farmers they are working hard to make sure this doesn't happen! We need to support them by buying their produce, without them our Sunday roast might have to travel thousands of miles before we pick it up off the supermarket shelf and cook it for our family, beef from Nigeria, cauliflower from Spain, cabbage from Portugal, not the traditional Sunday Roast that we know and love!
I can't stress enough the importance of supporting our farmers, and there are lots of ways we can do this. If you have the time go to your local butcher, fishmonger or farm shop and you will see all the beautiful produce our country has to offer. Most fishmongers will get their fish fresh from market several days a week, caught in the waters surrounding our country, I am lucky I have a little man in a van every thursday morning park outside my house and I all I have to do is pop over the road and get first pickings of all his beautiful fresh fish! Butchers will go to market at least once a week, a good butcher will know where his meat has come from and know how it is reared, ask next time you are there, you may walk out with something you haven't tried before or even a little inspiration. Farm shops are popping up everywhere, even in central London, go and see what they have to offer, their veg may be a bit dirtier and not quite the same size and shape we are used to seeing but believe me when I say it will make up for it's looks with the freshness and the taste! If you don't have the time to visit any of the above then look out for the Union Jack in the super market, check the food you are buying is British, everything these days has to state it's place of origin, if it's not British then find something that is!
If we all get on board and start to consciously buy British it will help our farmers no end, we won't have to rely on oversea growers and suppliers, surely it's only logical buying the produce that we grow in our own country rather than shopping abroad.
No comments:
Post a Comment