Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Feeling Inspired

As I sit down to another entertaining episode of masterchef my stomach starts to rumble (although I have already eaten!) but most importantly the old cogs start tunrning and I get to thinking about my favourite foods. It's that time of year when we all start to comfort eat, it's cold and dark, roast chicken and cauliflower cheese has never seemed more appealing. But there are plently of other wonderful classics we can enjoy and I have decided to share with you my favourite winter comfort food! Moules! Big fat juicy, mussels in a creamy, tangy, herby sauce served with freshly baked bread and green salad with french dressing! YUM!

Moules Sauce Poulette

1 kg Fresh Mussels
Large knob of unsalted butter
2 Shallots sliced or diced(I prefer the banana Shallots)
250 ml Dry white wine, Muscadet will do!
2 Large egg yolks
125 ml Creme Fraiche or double cream
Fresh Thyme
Fresh flat leaf parsley

First of all mix the egg yolks with the creme fraiche, whisk until blended and set aside.
Thoroughly scrub, rinse and beard the mussels. Leave to drain in a collander.
Melt the butter in a large high sided pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until just about soft and translucent.
Add the mussels, wine and a handful of fresh thyme leaves. Increase the heat to high and cover.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occaisionally, until the mussels have opened, don't over cook them or they will be tough!
Drain the mussels in a collander with a bowl underneath to keep the juices, pour this liquid back into the pan and whisk in the creme fraiche and yolk mix.
Place the mussels in a warm dish and cover. Gently heat the sauce, careful not to boil it, stirring all the time. When the sauce is hot and thick pour it over the mussels and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley.

Serve with fresh bread to mop all those yummy juices up and a green salad to get your essential five a day! Oh and of course the other essential five a day, glass of white wine!

Hope you all enjoy this as much as my other half and I do, this should serve 4 but to be honest we usually polish this all off between the two of us. Piggy I know but too good to resist!

1 comment: